Translate

Monday, February 13, 2017

#Disabledandcute

I came home from a busy weekend and noticed the hashtag #disabledandcute (created by Keah Brown) was tending on twitter. I often feel that people with disabilities get overlooked especially when it comes to societal beauty standards. I have often mentioned to friends that once you transition from sick -but-possibly-curable child to adulthood there is a certain erasure that takes place.  I feel like I could count the number of disabled characters I've seen on screen or in literature on my own hands.

True story: When I started watching Breaking Bad on Netflix, I was so excited by RJ Mitte's portrayal of Walter Jr. that I googled if he actually had Cerebral Palsy, and promptly lost it when it was confirmed.  Boy, let me tell you how much that driving scene with two feet meant to me. I can personally testify that on the few occasions I was attempting to drive a car, that scene is the real thing.

I also lose "it" when hashtags normalizing disability are trending. Largely, because it allows me to follow and connect with other disabled people. I grew up in a very small area despite it being so close to Disney World and the area being taken over by tourists pretty much all year 'round. I remember the hour drive to Orlando vividly to receive treatments. When I was young, I would have to make bi-monthly trips to the doctor where they would flex leg muscles and joints, and then wrap them up in plaster casts. I would always dread this because I was afraid the instrument to remove the cast would cut into my leg but it was super fun to pick out my cast colors each time.Sadly, the hospital/therapy visits would be some of the few times that I was able to see other disabled people but was pretty much raised in a sea of normal the majority of the time. 

Not being "exposed" to other disabled people really messed with my own perceptions about disability as well as my own self esteem. Especially, in my teen years and more so as an adult. I became obsessed with appearing normal. I would always insists on wearing makeup, dislike photos of me in my chair or hide the walker best I could.  I think the most upsetting thing that I would do, was never wear shorts because of the lengthy scars from heal cord and hamstring surgeries. I eventually got over these things but it took me until my twenties and I still have bad days.

Up until the moment that I joined social media and the magic of the interwebs, I had befriended a total of four people with my specific disability or just disabled, period. Since that hashtag debuted I have pretty much followed every post I have seen and cannot stop smiling at my feed.  

So yeah, high five interwebs! You did good. 


No comments:

Post a Comment